It's better than the alternative
My birthday is coming up. Gag. I'll be 46.
Now, when you are getting ready to be, close to fifty, your birthday requests tend to change.
They can become very small: ie, "Please just let me sleep in", or "Will someone vacuum for me today?", "just take the kids away for the day" or....
very big: "I would like to re-carpet the entire house", or "Can we go and look at convertibles?", and "just take the kids away for a week".
Or, very, very big:
"I have a gastric bypass scheduled for Monday, and they can fit in the facelift at the same time--the kids need to be at grandma's for a month".
The thing is, whether you like it or not, you just get older. It is SUCH a drag. I have decided that my birthday present to myself this year will be a big ol' physical. With bloodwork and all. As DH will attest to, there is nothing a hypochondriac like myself likes better than lots of bloodwork. Surely SOMETHING is going on in my middle-aged body. It can't just be old age that makes me creak and groan and drive the car places where other people walk.
WebMd might get 50,000 hits a day, but it really means nothing if 49,500 of them are from MY url! Don't tell their advertisers the truth--it's actually one person hitting that site time after time after time. What's the name for computer-induced eye-strain? Or backache? Well, WebMd is responsible for mine, but at least I was able to self-diagnose it, thanks to them. I'll just double-check on that after posting here.
Well, as my title suggests...getting older IS better than the alternative. And actually, I do have plans to look at convertibles on "my day". I better go find something sweet to eat now, while I still can. Possibly drenched in fat. What could be better?
Now, when you are getting ready to be, close to fifty, your birthday requests tend to change.
They can become very small: ie, "Please just let me sleep in", or "Will someone vacuum for me today?", "just take the kids away for the day" or....
very big: "I would like to re-carpet the entire house", or "Can we go and look at convertibles?", and "just take the kids away for a week".
Or, very, very big:
"I have a gastric bypass scheduled for Monday, and they can fit in the facelift at the same time--the kids need to be at grandma's for a month".
The thing is, whether you like it or not, you just get older. It is SUCH a drag. I have decided that my birthday present to myself this year will be a big ol' physical. With bloodwork and all. As DH will attest to, there is nothing a hypochondriac like myself likes better than lots of bloodwork. Surely SOMETHING is going on in my middle-aged body. It can't just be old age that makes me creak and groan and drive the car places where other people walk.
WebMd might get 50,000 hits a day, but it really means nothing if 49,500 of them are from MY url! Don't tell their advertisers the truth--it's actually one person hitting that site time after time after time. What's the name for computer-induced eye-strain? Or backache? Well, WebMd is responsible for mine, but at least I was able to self-diagnose it, thanks to them. I'll just double-check on that after posting here.
Well, as my title suggests...getting older IS better than the alternative. And actually, I do have plans to look at convertibles on "my day". I better go find something sweet to eat now, while I still can. Possibly drenched in fat. What could be better?


6 Comments:
When I was born my mom was 32. Thus in the year that I turned 1, she turned 33; 33 times my age. Fifteen years later I turned 16 and she turned 48, only three times my age. In just fifteen years the multiple of my age had reduced from 33 to 3.
It's all a question of relativity. As a multiple of your children's age, you're actually getting younger. If we could live forever, relative to your kids you'd eventually turn 1.
By
Kevin, at 5:15 PM
I think that's too much math for my old brain to master.
But you're right...it is all relative. I honestly do not feel any differently than I did in my 20's--and hey, Madonna is still around so some things never change!
By
herewegoagain, at 7:43 PM
Nice post! well..actually ppl say, the older you grow, the younger you get at heart..No no.m not trying to be nice to you and say some good words, it IS true. Try pampering yourself for your brthday or u know, enjoy getting a good massage!...n hey..Happy birthday in Advance!....rj
By
Anonymous, at 1:26 AM
Hey, Thanks for that quote. I LIKE it.
Thanks for commenting too!
By
herewegoagain, at 9:22 AM
Glad you liked it... hv fun! :)
By
raj, at 5:14 AM
ooh, can I get a convertible too? pleeeeease....
You know, they say how you age is all in your head, and you act like a teenager so you're not getting any older ;-)
bye the way - what DO you want for your birthday?
By
Anonymous, at 12:16 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home