Get me OUTTA here!

Wow, I can't believe it's been almost a week since my last post. And really, that was sort of a "cheating" post...the map and all that. I think that map has stuck with me all week and I'm realizing that there is no reason in my world to blog, to write, to even think or ponder...because MY LIFE NEVER CHANGES. Oh yeah, that's the reason for the name on the template. It's herewegoagain, and again, and again, and again--ad nauseum. And again....
Here's the thing: My older brother is now getting settled in Cairo, and we are getting some interesting email updates from there. I've put one nephew on the plane for Arizona and one for Missouri, and my niece is enjoying sunny Southern California (it was "warm" yesterday in San Diego, at 74 perfect degrees--yet they were hot?). My big trip this summer was to Houston...to get perfect daughter's visa for her trip to China in October. Other than spending waaayyyy too much time discussing how incredibly wonderful Buccee's truck stop bathrooms are, and getting lost, the Houston trip wasn't the highlight of my summer that I had hoped it would be. (Although, I do highly recommend Buccees...)
Um, before I moved to Austin in 1981, I had lived in several states and in Iran twice and Norway...oh, and had just moved to Indonesia. My college life consisted of trying to make planes while lugging way too much luggage and knowing that my dad bought a totally non-refundable ticket for me--so if I wasn't on the way to Miami, I wasn't going to Norway that day either. I started college at the University of Florida (no one believes me, but during my tenure there our football team lost every game and you couldn't give away homecoming tickets), and transferred to Texas--land of big hair and winning football. I spent spring breaks going to fun beaches. I spent summers traveling all over Europe, or England...or, my favorite (still)--Club Med in Corfu.
Then it all stopped. I now live 90 miles from Austin and I am likely to be buried in the dog cemetary on our property. Make that the dog, sheep, and cat cemetery (mr. herewegoagain did put his foot down and the hamster is buried under the treehouse).
I remember when I lived in Norway and my friends from Texas would always get the first flight back home to Texas each and every summer. I thought they were crazy and asked one of them why they would forego Eurail for Borger, Texas? He said, "Good Texans don't leave Texas". Boy, howdy, was he right.
I married a good Texan. He has made it to Mexico three times with me. He did go to California a couple of times, and that was OK, but that trip up the East Coast...with TOLL ROADS? And hey, those roads were worse than anything in Texas--which were, of course, FREE. I've dragged him on a trip or two, but sometimes it does get a bit old to hear why it's better in Texas. Or bigger in Texas. (or, always, hotter...in Texas). We would go to Connecticut to visit my parents for a picture postcard New England Christmas, and he would not take off his down jacket the whole time we stayed there. He ate in it, and slept in it. My parents would ask me often if "he was all right?". Yeah, he was just cold. And missing TEXAS. Perfect daughter used to say, "Texas doesn't have winter, it has cold fronts". So true, and it makes for a miserable Texan traveling anywhere cold in winter.
I don't like to use the word "lie"...but let's just say, when I met him, he did not "portray" himself as the um, stick-in-the-mud he has become. He had a visa to come and visit my family in Indonesia (strangely, that fell through..hmmmm). He was interested in a career in the Air Force (see the world!). He happily acquiesced when I suggested Cozumel for our honeymoon. He even sent resumes all over the country when we graduated. We made it ninety miles.
Now, when I say, "Let's go somewhere", he really, truly, I'm-not-kidding, says, "Why?". Why indeed. We're in Texas and good Texans stay in Texas.
(one little problem with that...I was born in California!)....


3 Comments:
See, my problem is that my guy DOES want to see the world... only I'm not able to go on most of those trips. So he's been to all sorts of exotic places, while I work at home.
I've seen just about all of the United Kingdom, some of western Europe (West Germany--before the fall of the Berlin wall--, Switzerland, Austria) and a smattering of U.S. states, but my map looks remarkably different.
Some people have all the fun. :P
By
Maria, at 7:11 PM
You mentioned it once but I forgot; did you grow up in a Foreign Service or corporate family?
By
Kevin, at 7:29 PM
Navybride...don't worry, you are one lucky girl! My mom, a San Diego native, married my dad (Naval officer)for love AND to see the world! He was forced to retire just a few years after that (and she was still in San Diego--which they both referred to as "a sleepy Navy town"), but he went with an oil company and that's how WE ended up in odd places like Iran and Norway. After I was grown, they lived in Doha, Qatar waaaayyyyy before it was on CNN nightly.
So, Navy or not, get ready to go!
By
herewegoagain, at 10:13 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home