herewegoagain

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Stuff and Nonsense

I know this has been a scary day for air travelers everywhere and I don't mean to make light of the danger in the sky, but let's face it, that's what I do (or try to...)--make light of things.

I got on the phone to my best friend with my perfect solution, "Well, we'll all just have to fly naked". Big silence on her end. Anyone who's read my eating/dieting/pigging-out blogs can picture just how horrible a thought that is to ME, and apparently, her. Then I said, "It will change society as a whole...people will be able to tell "those who fly" from "those who drive". Thin, fit people will fly. Fat, middle-aged matrons will drive". She started to laugh.

I think this could happen. We can't really bring any carry-ons onboard anymore, and soon there will be a detailed list of clothing items we can't wear. Pretty soon, when they say we have to fly naked, whole new industries will spring up. Some will sell you clothes the minute you land...and toothpaste and face cream--all pre-packaged and ready to go. Just like airplane food used to be. Think of this, we would truly be safe in a plane full of nudists. How could any nefarious item possibly be onboard?

She said, "I could hide a pretty big weapon in just one of my tummy folds"....

OK, enough of nonsense.

Here's some stuff. I have finally heard from the large utility that is "buying" our easement (stealing would be my word of choice, but I digress). In May we were told that "soon" we would have the property appraised by an independent appraiser (yeah, right, paid by whom?) and a final offer would be made based on his appraisal. If we reject that final offer, we start the eminent domain proceedings.

OK, that appraiser is coming tomorrow. And by golly, I'm going to be right here waiting for him. With home-made cookies. And cute kids with big blue eyes following him around, pointing out favorite trees that are in the cutting zone. And comments like, "This was going to be our retirement home, but now we feel that we have lost everything we hold so dear". Do you think that might work? If anyone has any ideas on how to sway an appraiser to get oh, about a million dollars for a little piece of Texas heaven, please comment. I think the offer would hurt less with six zeroes in it...

What a day. What almost happened in the skies makes what is going to happen down here seem suddenly much less significant.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home