herewegoagain

Monday, July 31, 2006

It's what's for dinner

I write a lot about life in Texas. You know, the bugs (all stinging), the heat, the so-called beaches and lakes...(and future blogs will be on big hair, big cars and "kill me if I ever talk like that" accents).

But for all that, I truly do love my state. There is a mystique about it that is uniquely Texan. Things are truly bigger here (and not just the cockroaches). And often better (I can honestly say that my first taste of Texas barbeque will never be forgotten...ambrosia served up on paper towels by scary men in the back of a butcher shop--incredible!). And, when it comes to trivia, doesn't everyone know a little something about my big ol' Lone Star State?

Well, maybe not everyone.

I have company in town this month. These are my six nieces and nephews who are visiting from Oman, on their way to reassignment in Egypt. Their dad, my brother, is a career Foreign Service diplomat--an Arabist with 20 years experience in the Middle East. They are smart kids. Worldly kids. Kids who grew up reading instead of boob-toobing. I've enjoyed my time with them and like to think that they represent all that is good about the US when they are on their travels all over the world.

We were playing "Taboo". You know the game...you draw a card and then have to give clues to it without using words that would help in that endeavor. For example, you might draw "murder". You couldn't say: "dead, body, Agatha Christie, homicide or detective". You have about 30 seconds to get people to guess as many cards as you can draw.

My nephew was up. He drew a card. He gave a big smile...this was going to be easy. He said, "Australia is known for this". We yelled out "Kangaroos!", he said, "It's a food". We yelled out, "Shrimp on the barbie!" No. "Fish". No. "Kangaroo again" No, not funny...and so on.

The time ran out and he was very, very frustrated with us. The timer beeped...his turn was over. He said, "BEEF!, it's BEEF!". There was silence. He then said, "What could I have said to make you get it?". I pointed out, "Well, you could have mentioned Texas..."

He looked at me astounded.

"Texas is known for beef?"

Apparently not in Oman.

2 Comments:

  • My XO on the ship is from Texas and is a proud Aggie - his car is decorated and everything. He repeats a saying:

    "Never ask a man if he's from Texas. He will surely tell you if he is and no need to embarrass him if he is not."

    By Blogger Kevin, at 6:43 AM  

  • As a Longhorn, I have a stash of Aggie jokes, but here's the one all my children learned to say when they were barely walking.

    "How do you get a one-armed Aggie out of a tree?"

    "Wave to him"

    He's right about Texans though. And he would probably agree with me about Austin! (it's not really part of Texas....)

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home