herewegoagain

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Boys vs. Girls

Here is a good example of the difference between boys and girls at the herewegoagain house:

This morning at breakfast, I brought up the subject of learning a foreign language this year.

"Would you two prefer French or Spanish", I asked as I sipped my tea.

Both of their faces fell. "Are those the only two choices?" they chimed. Sweet Girl then added, "I personally would love to learn Latin!"

Latin? Wow. I was impressed. We talked about how it is a "dead" language, but that knowing it would help in learning English, and that some church liturgies are still sung in Latin. Rowdy Son nodded appreciatively. I just knew HE wanted to learn Latin as well. That was a big step, since school in most ways other than PE and history videos is not his favorite thing.

"What do you think about getting some Latin books this year?" I asked him.

"Well," he said, "I was thinking of a couple of languages I would really like to learn as well...."

I was getting excited...."What are they?"

He very seriously said, "I think either Canadian or Australian would be wonderful".

Yeah, that's my boy.

2 Comments:

  • HAHAHA! That's fantastic - I burst out laughing when I read Rowdy Boy's response! So much so, in fact, that my roommate probably thinks I'm crazy now - but I'm pretty sure he already thought that anyway...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:44 PM  

  • Oh, way too much fun to have a comment from Wayco!!!! (who, I am sure, knows Latin....)

    Thanks!

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home