It had to happen....
I made such a big deal about Perfect Daughter's hacking, wracking, non-stop, "could-you-leave-the room?" cough, that yes...I now have the flu. In fact, I have a lingering memory of a look she threw me during one of her coughing fits that said something like, "Just wait until you catch this", which has now proved prophetic. Oh man, I'm miserable. And oh man, I wish I had been nicer to her.
Sweet Girl ended up at the doctor's for an ear infection. There, they gleefully told Perfect Daughter that this "crud" is sweeping through our little town. They aren't sure of the incubation period (let's just say, in the herewegoagain house, it's been about a week or longer!), but the flu part lasts 3-7 days, followed by a cough that lasts up to three months.
THREE MONTHS???? Doesn't it begin to be tuberculosis at that point? Considering Perfect Daughter, Sweet Girl and I are all coughing now (and never in harmony), I can only imagine if we add the boys to the mix. The fever, aches and chills of the first day of this were misery itself, but the thought of coughing my way into fall is really, um, depressing.
This is why well-to-do Europeans went to Egypt to convalesce from the flu in the early 1900's. Their friends made them. Who wanted to be around THIS???
Perfect Daughter still doesn't feel well and it has been a month since she came down with the first fever. Still, being the trooper that she is, she has stepped up and cooked and cleaned and laundered for the past four days. (Of course, I thought it was purely altruistic, but it was more along the lines of, "Mom, don't touch anything in the house. Don't sit on the couch, don't wash a dish and DON'T fold my clothes...you're germy") Actually, I'm totally good with that. She did sit down at the meal she cooked yesterday and had a moment of very small wailing...."I can't be the mom of the family...how do you do it?". How indeed. It's actually too much for me to think of right now, but we are stumbling along. Personally, as I sit here in my Thera-flu induced fog, I wonder how SHE negotiated law school offers, dealt with financial aid offices and wrote thank you letters to her endowed scholarship donors. We do what we have to do.
Thankfully, all I HAVE to do today....is nap.
Sweet Girl ended up at the doctor's for an ear infection. There, they gleefully told Perfect Daughter that this "crud" is sweeping through our little town. They aren't sure of the incubation period (let's just say, in the herewegoagain house, it's been about a week or longer!), but the flu part lasts 3-7 days, followed by a cough that lasts up to three months.
THREE MONTHS???? Doesn't it begin to be tuberculosis at that point? Considering Perfect Daughter, Sweet Girl and I are all coughing now (and never in harmony), I can only imagine if we add the boys to the mix. The fever, aches and chills of the first day of this were misery itself, but the thought of coughing my way into fall is really, um, depressing.
This is why well-to-do Europeans went to Egypt to convalesce from the flu in the early 1900's. Their friends made them. Who wanted to be around THIS???
Perfect Daughter still doesn't feel well and it has been a month since she came down with the first fever. Still, being the trooper that she is, she has stepped up and cooked and cleaned and laundered for the past four days. (Of course, I thought it was purely altruistic, but it was more along the lines of, "Mom, don't touch anything in the house. Don't sit on the couch, don't wash a dish and DON'T fold my clothes...you're germy") Actually, I'm totally good with that. She did sit down at the meal she cooked yesterday and had a moment of very small wailing...."I can't be the mom of the family...how do you do it?". How indeed. It's actually too much for me to think of right now, but we are stumbling along. Personally, as I sit here in my Thera-flu induced fog, I wonder how SHE negotiated law school offers, dealt with financial aid offices and wrote thank you letters to her endowed scholarship donors. We do what we have to do.
Thankfully, all I HAVE to do today....is nap.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home