Whooooosh
That title is the sound of me letting out my breath. As in, I don't have to hold it anymore till I can say (blog?) with impunity that Perfect Daughter has finally picked her law school.
Yes, I know that I actually blogged and linked to William and Mary, when she "picked" it several months ago. Yes, I know that I actually blogged about the new dilemma between ah, well, maybe not William and Mary, maybe UT. Yes, I know it seemed to be about those two for quite a while. I was humming "The Eyes of Texas" and trying to remember non-scary parts of Austin near campus to go looking for apartments for her, and she was off visiting William and Mary for one last "check" of how she liked it, how the housing was, and oh yes--how much closer it was to Perfect Boyfriend.
So why is she going here?
I guess she had 97,240 reasons.
Yes, Dubyanell actually want her. Want her badly enough to sort of, um, in a very nice way...stalk her. They had waived her application fee way back when. She applied (why not?), but when the money offered was in loans, she politely told them "No, thanks". They came back with a generous offer of $25,000 a year. That was very tempting and did make us rush to google all that we could find out about Washington and Lee, Lexington and even Traveller, but it still wasn't quite enough to push UT and William and Mary off the table. She politely said "Your school is awesome, but no thanks".
Then, on the day she flew home from visiting Williamsburg, the same day she moaned to me, "Why can't God send a lightning bolt to earth to help me decide?", the exact day she thought, "I'll have to go to UT after all"....that very day Washington and Lee offered her full-tuition.
I'm so proud of her. That's huge. They are lucky to get her, no doubt, but she is blessed to go there! Full tuition means if tuition increases, she's covered. Full tuition in this case means she is an Honors Scholar. And on top of all that good news (or should I say "electricity-from-God" news), Washington and Lee has graduate housing available. Graduate housing is unheard of in any circumstance at UT, and pretty much gone by now at any other school (including William and Mary). It just is meant to be. We're sure, she's sure, and even better-- "The School of Law at Washington and Lee" is sure.
Washington and Lee has so much history which suits her as a history buff (and degreed in both history and political science). It's in "Vuh-ginia", and I keep telling her-- whether or not she likes it, she's a Southern girl. She will get seasons, which means that for once this Southern girl will have snow in winter as a typical occurrence, not a once-in-a-hundred-years-get-your-camera thing. It has an honor code that means she really, truly won't have to worry about leaving her laptop around campus. And best of all, it is a top tier law school with a tradition of excellence and a Supreme Court judge, senators and and of course two famous generals among its past alumni and faculty.
I'm happy. We're heading to the Shenandoah Valley in August. I won't get to ride the roller coaster in Williamsburg, but I will be able to indulge in all things Civil War, Virginian and law-school-ish for a week. Can't wait.
Oh...it's pretty too.
Yes, I know that I actually blogged and linked to William and Mary, when she "picked" it several months ago. Yes, I know that I actually blogged about the new dilemma between ah, well, maybe not William and Mary, maybe UT. Yes, I know it seemed to be about those two for quite a while. I was humming "The Eyes of Texas" and trying to remember non-scary parts of Austin near campus to go looking for apartments for her, and she was off visiting William and Mary for one last "check" of how she liked it, how the housing was, and oh yes--how much closer it was to Perfect Boyfriend.
So why is she going here?
I guess she had 97,240 reasons.
Yes, Dubyanell actually want her. Want her badly enough to sort of, um, in a very nice way...stalk her. They had waived her application fee way back when. She applied (why not?), but when the money offered was in loans, she politely told them "No, thanks". They came back with a generous offer of $25,000 a year. That was very tempting and did make us rush to google all that we could find out about Washington and Lee, Lexington and even Traveller, but it still wasn't quite enough to push UT and William and Mary off the table. She politely said "Your school is awesome, but no thanks".
Then, on the day she flew home from visiting Williamsburg, the same day she moaned to me, "Why can't God send a lightning bolt to earth to help me decide?", the exact day she thought, "I'll have to go to UT after all"....that very day Washington and Lee offered her full-tuition.
I'm so proud of her. That's huge. They are lucky to get her, no doubt, but she is blessed to go there! Full tuition means if tuition increases, she's covered. Full tuition in this case means she is an Honors Scholar. And on top of all that good news (or should I say "electricity-from-God" news), Washington and Lee has graduate housing available. Graduate housing is unheard of in any circumstance at UT, and pretty much gone by now at any other school (including William and Mary). It just is meant to be. We're sure, she's sure, and even better-- "The School of Law at Washington and Lee" is sure.
Washington and Lee has so much history which suits her as a history buff (and degreed in both history and political science). It's in "Vuh-ginia", and I keep telling her-- whether or not she likes it, she's a Southern girl. She will get seasons, which means that for once this Southern girl will have snow in winter as a typical occurrence, not a once-in-a-hundred-years-get-your-camera thing. It has an honor code that means she really, truly won't have to worry about leaving her laptop around campus. And best of all, it is a top tier law school with a tradition of excellence and a Supreme Court judge, senators and and of course two famous generals among its past alumni and faculty.
I'm happy. We're heading to the Shenandoah Valley in August. I won't get to ride the roller coaster in Williamsburg, but I will be able to indulge in all things Civil War, Virginian and law-school-ish for a week. Can't wait.
Oh...it's pretty too.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home