herewegoagain

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Next Step

Today I hit the ten pound loss mark. I think it might be more like 12 because of course, I didn't step on a scale till I had dieted a few days--we all know that the months leading up to diets are full of bingeing (because "tomorrow I start my diet"), and by the time I started my diet I was completely terrified of the scale. The scale was NOT my friend. But a ten pound loss? It was pretty exciting! I mean, I know it's 10 down, forty to go, but for the first time in months (years?) the scale is heading the "right" way. And we're getting chummy again.

I reflected on my new way of eating. NOW, I think a yummy snack is sauteeing some asparagus in butter, salting it lightly and popping one stalk at a time into my mouth. Not quite the same as popping one Hershey Kiss at a time into my mouth, but hey...no annoying little foil wrappers to keep up with (and to hide as guilty evidence from mr. h of my consuming an entire bag while he was at work). When I eat a piece of chicken, it's not the same as a Snickers, but I can pretend can't I? And now, when I crave carbs, I get oatmeal. Which I'm starting to sort of like. Hunger will do that to you. People eat BUGS when they are hungry enough, so I should be able to manage oatmeal.

Instead of drinking sweet tea, I actually, really, truly (cross my heart) am drinking WATER. That's right...no caffeine, no sugar, no carbonation...just the pure stuff the God intended for us to drink. I do like my hot tea in the morning, but Splenda is working just fine for sweetening that.

I'm feeling extremely virtuous. I feel that I've found "the key". I'm bragging to people. The timing is perfect for me to be taken down a notch (or ten).....

Because I'm going health-club shopping.

I'm trying to steel myself for the embarrassment. I was a big health club fan in the body-conscious 80's. I mean, my idea of "chic" was new leotards with matching leg warmers. OK, this will date me...I started aerobics before we wore SHOES! We did it barefoot at UT in 1980. With cute tights of all things. And our hair was as big as our waists were tiny. Jane Fonda was my idol. Shoeless. "Go for the burn" and all that.

Now that I'm middle-aged, and frankly, fatter than I ever dreamed I could be....I'm being very careful about where I'm going when I check out the "establishments". There is the good ol' YMCA. I like that....lots of moms, kid stuff, basic calisthenics. That might work. There is "Curves". LOVE that name. I like the TV commercials...they are actual women with "real" curves. There is the nagging thought when I watch it though, that maybe it doesn't work....surely those women should be a tad less "curvy"? We'll see.

There is also, here in my town, the "Women's Health Center". I like that. Implies all-round good health. And no men. I'll check it out as well. Of course, health is an issue right now...especially knee health. My poor knees. Going to a workout in 2006 is going to be more about which knee wrap or brace works best, instead of how cute my workout clothes and hair are. And shoes are going to be pretty darn important, considering all my foot issues.

Really, the fourth option is looking really good. It's called, "Buy a DVD and do it at home".

4 Comments:

  • Good for you!

    Earlier in the year, we went health club shopping and one of the places Kevin suggested we visit was the gym on one of the dozen nearby bases because "it'll be free." We walked in and turned the corner into a HUGE, beautiful, modern equipment area.... and that's as far as I would go. Every single one of those folks LOOKED like they belonged at a gym. Any one of them could have done a commercial for Gold's.

    Note to self: Military gym NOT the best option.

    By Blogger Maria, at 8:25 AM  

  • Ouch...that's a good point. Those people survived basic training and have to look good in uniforms too. Almost as bad as the free gyms at universities...there, everyone just wants to meet Mr. or Ms. right.

    It's all such a challenge. SO much easier to eat some chocolate....

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 9:09 AM  

  • I totally identify! So, this semester I finally decided to get back into shape (after a couple of years of midnight pizza runs and sitting in front of a computer...)

    And there's the gym on campus, big, nice, and free, right? With ONLY BIG BUFF JOCK TYPE GUYS USING IT! So guess what I do? I run around the loop in the MIDDLE of the night! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:03 PM  

  • And here I thought the only boys at your school were computer nerds.

    Middle of the night? Scary. Be careful.
    Where exactly is this "loop"?

    I'm rethinking the whole thing. Chubby people ARE cute, right? I'm thinking it's not so terrible to be fat and happy.

    Oh for some chocolate....

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home