Day Seven
Okay, I've been on the diet a whole week. Well, I don't know if you can count last Saturday as a diet day, because it DID start with about six donuts. In fact, I'm pretty sure there was a ham and potato dinner that day too. I DO know that it WAS the day that I lay groaning and muttering and finally decided that yes, less carbs was probably the way to go. That thought came after a candy bar, I'm sure.
So, maybe my MIND started on Saturday and my body started on Sunday.
I've lost five pounds. When I was a member of Weight Watchers, my impossibly tiny leader used to tell us, "Five pounds! Go and find find pounds of butter. Look at that! THAT'S what is coming off of your body" (for some of us, that was a literal application). Since I have so much more than five pounds to lose, I've come up with some standards of my own. After I have lost two more pounds, I can look at the chihuahua and think, "Wow, I've lost you!" When I've lost ten more pounds, I can pick up two gallons of water and think, "I've lost YOU!". The sad and scary thing is that to get to my goal...I'll be looking at sweet girl and thinking, "I've lost you?". Argh. I'm literally carrying a nine-year-0ld girl around with me 24/7. My feet are going to be almost as happy as my brain when this is over.
I am tall. That can be a stumbling block in so many ways. I think it is why I gained the weight in the first place...whereas tiny people notice a five pound weight gain, those of us closer to six feet than five feet tend to not notice a thing till clothes get tight at 20 pounds extra or more. This was really brought home to me when I checked out the South Beach diet online. They had a profile to fill out, which I dutifully did. I received an email stating that my goal weight was from 125-169 pounds! Are you kidding? That is a 44 pound "spread" (and I'm not talking derrieres here, although, um, yes I am). Who thinks, "Well, I'm at the top of my goal range, so I'll quit" when there are 43 more pounds you could lose?. (Well, um, yes, I do).
And for the record, 125? Maybe when I was 20. Not happening at age 45. 125 might actually scare my children. And require plastic surgery to deal with the extra skin. Ewwwwwwwwww.
OK, week one is over. The brain has survived on less than 100 carbs a day. The body, not so much-- (does the word "craving" mean anything to anyone)?
And Valentine's Day is Tuesday...oh, noooooooooooooooooo.
So, maybe my MIND started on Saturday and my body started on Sunday.
I've lost five pounds. When I was a member of Weight Watchers, my impossibly tiny leader used to tell us, "Five pounds! Go and find find pounds of butter. Look at that! THAT'S what is coming off of your body" (for some of us, that was a literal application). Since I have so much more than five pounds to lose, I've come up with some standards of my own. After I have lost two more pounds, I can look at the chihuahua and think, "Wow, I've lost you!" When I've lost ten more pounds, I can pick up two gallons of water and think, "I've lost YOU!". The sad and scary thing is that to get to my goal...I'll be looking at sweet girl and thinking, "I've lost you?". Argh. I'm literally carrying a nine-year-0ld girl around with me 24/7. My feet are going to be almost as happy as my brain when this is over.
I am tall. That can be a stumbling block in so many ways. I think it is why I gained the weight in the first place...whereas tiny people notice a five pound weight gain, those of us closer to six feet than five feet tend to not notice a thing till clothes get tight at 20 pounds extra or more. This was really brought home to me when I checked out the South Beach diet online. They had a profile to fill out, which I dutifully did. I received an email stating that my goal weight was from 125-169 pounds! Are you kidding? That is a 44 pound "spread" (and I'm not talking derrieres here, although, um, yes I am). Who thinks, "Well, I'm at the top of my goal range, so I'll quit" when there are 43 more pounds you could lose?. (Well, um, yes, I do).
And for the record, 125? Maybe when I was 20. Not happening at age 45. 125 might actually scare my children. And require plastic surgery to deal with the extra skin. Ewwwwwwwwww.
OK, week one is over. The brain has survived on less than 100 carbs a day. The body, not so much-- (does the word "craving" mean anything to anyone)?
And Valentine's Day is Tuesday...oh, noooooooooooooooooo.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home