Just Water
Today my best bud and I went shopping for the dreaded wedding. I really did NOT want to step into a dressing room until I was down another ten pounds, but time is a-wastin' and off we went.
We fortified ourselves with lunch at PF Changs first. Best bud is a regular and they always whisk her past the line. I follow like a poor relation, which in reality, I am. She and I quizzed the server extensively about "low carb options" and then we ordered "only" the lettuce chicken wraps and the chicken oriental salad.
And water. I asked for "a bottle of purified water". I'm funny about my water...it has to be purified or sometimes it upsets my stomach. It doesn't have to be exotic, expensive or imported--just "pure". As in good ol' Aquafina...you know, something that is available at any gas station?
She brought me a HUGE bottle of Italian mineral water. I mean, it could easily have slaked five people's thirst...if they were thirsty for mineral water. I personally can't stand it. And I also asked, as she poured it, if it was "purified". She said, "Yes, it's purified, it's mineral water". I stared at it for a bit, wondered how much this was costing best bud, and then said, "I'm afraid to drink it. How pure can anything be from Italy" (I spent one summer traveling through Europe and if there was one thing I remembered, it was that Italian water didn't go down well. In fact, Italian water was one reason I spent my only week in Switzerland cooped up in my hotel room).
OK, so we flagged down another server. "Um, there was a misunderstanding...we just want "purified water"...you know, like Aquafina". She nodded and left to get it...returning with the most amazingly beautiful rectangular bottle of water cozied in a silver case. Awed, I took it and read the label...
"Bottled in Fiji".
Are you kidding? I wonder if Fijian bottling plants are any "purer" than Italian. And how much was THIS going to set us back?
They had smartly not opened this bottle for the crazy women in the back booth. I said, 'I'm so sorry, I just can't drink this".
We settled on tea.
When I got home I googled the calories and carbs for my meal. You know, for my food diary.
The lettuce wraps are over 600 calories per plate and 60 plus carbs. The oriental chicken salad weighs in at 920 calories and just under 60 carbs.
I thought it all tasted too good to be true. Except the water.
We fortified ourselves with lunch at PF Changs first. Best bud is a regular and they always whisk her past the line. I follow like a poor relation, which in reality, I am. She and I quizzed the server extensively about "low carb options" and then we ordered "only" the lettuce chicken wraps and the chicken oriental salad.
And water. I asked for "a bottle of purified water". I'm funny about my water...it has to be purified or sometimes it upsets my stomach. It doesn't have to be exotic, expensive or imported--just "pure". As in good ol' Aquafina...you know, something that is available at any gas station?
She brought me a HUGE bottle of Italian mineral water. I mean, it could easily have slaked five people's thirst...if they were thirsty for mineral water. I personally can't stand it. And I also asked, as she poured it, if it was "purified". She said, "Yes, it's purified, it's mineral water". I stared at it for a bit, wondered how much this was costing best bud, and then said, "I'm afraid to drink it. How pure can anything be from Italy" (I spent one summer traveling through Europe and if there was one thing I remembered, it was that Italian water didn't go down well. In fact, Italian water was one reason I spent my only week in Switzerland cooped up in my hotel room).
OK, so we flagged down another server. "Um, there was a misunderstanding...we just want "purified water"...you know, like Aquafina". She nodded and left to get it...returning with the most amazingly beautiful rectangular bottle of water cozied in a silver case. Awed, I took it and read the label...
"Bottled in Fiji".
Are you kidding? I wonder if Fijian bottling plants are any "purer" than Italian. And how much was THIS going to set us back?
They had smartly not opened this bottle for the crazy women in the back booth. I said, 'I'm so sorry, I just can't drink this".
We settled on tea.
When I got home I googled the calories and carbs for my meal. You know, for my food diary.
The lettuce wraps are over 600 calories per plate and 60 plus carbs. The oriental chicken salad weighs in at 920 calories and just under 60 carbs.
I thought it all tasted too good to be true. Except the water.


2 Comments:
I just got done reading all your past blogs that I have missed recently. I laughed SO hard. You are definitely therapuetic. You should do my diet. Because I can't have the real stuff, all my friends on the computer give me e-cookies, take me to an e-Krispy Kreme, and give me e-chocolate milk.
The water made me laugh. I don't think it is the water that has bothered you if it isn't purified. I hate to break it to ya, Mrs. D. *grin*
Well, I am off. *passes a box of e-chocolates to share with you as I, in reality, binge on cashew butter and rice cakes*
By
Anonymous, at 2:53 PM
Hailey! I've missed you!
Can I just say that right now, cashew butter and rice cakes sounds soooo good?
By
herewegoagain, at 6:44 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home