herewegoagain

Friday, March 24, 2006

My Name is Mrs. Herewegoagain and I am a

FOODAHOLIC!

Sigh. I wonder if that really is what people say at Overeaters Anonymous.

Yesterday was a nightmarish day at the soccer fields. Yes, you read that right...the soccer fields. Full of 11-year-old boys and dad coaches and mom parents--all sensible types, but yet, there was quite an argument. Things were said and done which caused me to come home and instead of reaching for a bottle of wine, (as if I needed that OTHER 12-step program)--I reached for FOOD.

I haven't had any carbs to speak of since February 5th. I mean, I had a piece of wedding cake, some cookies one day and a potato. And low-carb bread (which doesn't count, believe me). But all I could think of as I gripped my steering wheel heading home was "I want to EAT". And I didn't mean I wanted to eat cheese. Or eggs. Or meat.

I wanted rice, beans, chili---all smothered in lovely low-carb real sour cream and cheese. I wanted cookies for dessert. As many as I wanted to eat. I wanted to read my book with a steamy cup of hot chocolate smothered in sugary marshmallows.

And yes, I gave in.

As I was eating, I realized that even though I got to my current weight by eating when I'm happy, eating when I'm sad, eating when I'm bored and eating when I'm glad---what I really seem to do is eat when I'm stressed!

I woke up this morning with a food hangover. Have you ever had one? You feel shaky, grumpy and urpy. Ugh. Actually, maybe my binge was a good thing in that it reminded me how lousy it feels to overeat and pig out--after the fact. I have to say during it, I was in heaven.

The problem is, the stress over soccer won't go away. We're not at the level of those kids leagues where dads are having fist-fights because "little Billy didn't get to play long enough", but we do have the problems of adults who make way too much out of a kid's sport. My husband is a voice of reason and for that I am truly grateful. But I admit it, I do take comments personally. I get mad. I get upset. I get... full of cookies.

At least, even though my blood SUGAR level gets high with this addiction, my blood alcohol level is just fine. The better to drive to the store for a late-night Snickers bar.....

And no, I haven't weighed this morning.

6 Comments:

  • It's always heaven during. Always. *sigh*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:47 PM  

  • I may have told this story before. If I have I beg your forgiveness. Once at Panera I asked the difference between the regular bagels and low-carb ones. The baker sheepishly admitted that the low-carb bagels were the same recipe, just smaller. Yet they charged a quarter more. Charging more money for less product. Brilliant!

    By Blogger Kevin, at 5:26 PM  

  • All I can say is if someone were to offer me a bagel right now, right here...I would pay $10.00 for it and NOT care about the size....all those lovely carbs. Sigh. But yes, there is money to be made trying to trick hopeless overeaters like me into any and every diet. And, I'm a sucker. But don't ever, ever buy the low-carb tortillas. They are just wrong.

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 6:14 PM  

  • Noodles, also, are must in having the real thing. Trust me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:23 PM  

  • As I read this post, I was taking a break from my NIGHTMARISH studying for a statistics test that I have at 12:25 tomorrow (Monday). Do you know what I did before studying? I ate half a loaf of banana bread. And I am seriously considering making a quick run to the vending machine now...

    Ahh, I understand you so well! The woes of stress-eating...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:26 AM  

  • First of all, ouch to the statistics test. We'll be praying for you!

    Secondly, are you a banana bread traitor? WHO'S banana bread are you eating????:)

    I had pancakes for breakfast. It's all a carb nightmare. It's all SOCCER'S FAULT.

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home