herewegoagain

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Treasure

My big brother is a career Foreign Service Officer. He's been in the Middle East for most of his 20 plus years with the State Department (as well as growing up in Iran), and for us that means...cool gifts. We all received frankincense and myrrh for Christmas (it is a great starter for a wood fire by the way...and smells wonderful), and my girls have some beautiful Arabic costumes to wear. We have a shiny supply of silver teaspoons adorned with camels and palm trees, and more sequine-y pillows than a Bedouin could use. One of the gifts is a small wooden box. It's a "puzzle box" and very difficult to open (of course, perfect daughter was the first to figure it out). I personally still can't get it open. But yesterday, rowdy son came running gleefully into my room. He showed me how he had figured out the trick.

"That's really wonderful," I told him, "Since you managed to open it, you can HAVE it. It's for special treasures...people hid gold and money in them in Arabia thousands of years ago. What are you going to hide in there?" His eyes gleamed. "Something special?" he asked. When I nodded, he gave me a big smile.

"I'll put my teeth in there". And off he trotted....

(Read my post Teeth and you'll see why I laughed)

6 Comments:

  • Hehe! That's fantastic! To each his own! Maybe rowdy son will grow to be a wealthy, prominent oral surgeon.

    By Blogger Maria, at 7:08 PM  

  • If only...

    I'm actually worried that he'll make good on his promise (threat?) to wear a necklace of all his teeth. He does looovvvveee them.

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 9:38 PM  

  • *opened mouth amusement*

    Oh Mrs. D... I laughed too. Haha.

    I like navybride's idea. You should really encourage that.

    And how come I don't have interesting uncle's like that? I could use the political connections someday... *sigh*

    Perhaps Perfect Daughter will have them by the time I come up and she can help me out. ;-)

    See, I already think like a politician. It is all about the connections, I tell you. :-P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 AM  

  • Oh Hailey, I think you have some great connections already and you're just getting started. I'm expecting MY invitation to your inaugeration in about 25 years...before I'm too old to actually move my body! So get busy!

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 10:00 AM  

  • (laughing so hard I can't breathe over here...)

    well, if I had to come back from Utah, at least I got to come back to read that!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 AM  

  • I'm so glad you're back in Texas and especially I hope that you brought some RAIN with you.

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home