Refined taste
I will never be accused of having a sophisticated palate. Fine wines taste the same to me as the average $6.99 1.5L of "Sutter Home". I wouldn't know what to do with cigars and brandy. Even the most expensive chocolates are wasted on me. Why spend $25.00 a pound on Godiva when post-Christmas bags of Kisses are $1.20 just because they have red and green foil?
But I did discover something today. I can sniff, swirl, spit and anything "lite" or "fat-free" will be instantly detected and discarded!
Yesterday I bought some "cream cheese with garden vegetables" spread. (The "veggies" thing was a nod to my whole "eat healthy" resolution...Veggies are ok if swathed in cream cheese and cut very, very small). I used to LOVE that stuff. I filled up a plate of crackers and spread and sat down to enjoy my version of diet food. Ick. Tasted "off". I jumped up and checked the date...nope, that wasn't the problem. (By the way, this stuff stays good forever...usually another point in food's potential flavor/bad for you/tastes great possibilities for me). I said, perplexed, to mr. herewegoagain, "Remember when we thought this stuff was good?" and he admitted it was just "OK" this time around.
And then I saw...the "Lite" label. 50 percent fewer calories and less fat! (Why is it that 50 percent percent fewer calories and less fat always equates to 100 percent less taste?) Believe me, that's the dip you'll be bringing home from the party.
I knew it. I DO have a palate of sorts.
A "fat-detecting" palate.
But I did discover something today. I can sniff, swirl, spit and anything "lite" or "fat-free" will be instantly detected and discarded!
Yesterday I bought some "cream cheese with garden vegetables" spread. (The "veggies" thing was a nod to my whole "eat healthy" resolution...Veggies are ok if swathed in cream cheese and cut very, very small). I used to LOVE that stuff. I filled up a plate of crackers and spread and sat down to enjoy my version of diet food. Ick. Tasted "off". I jumped up and checked the date...nope, that wasn't the problem. (By the way, this stuff stays good forever...usually another point in food's potential flavor/bad for you/tastes great possibilities for me). I said, perplexed, to mr. herewegoagain, "Remember when we thought this stuff was good?" and he admitted it was just "OK" this time around.
And then I saw...the "Lite" label. 50 percent fewer calories and less fat! (Why is it that 50 percent percent fewer calories and less fat always equates to 100 percent less taste?) Believe me, that's the dip you'll be bringing home from the party.
I knew it. I DO have a palate of sorts.
A "fat-detecting" palate.


6 Comments:
I love it when a product bosts "97% fat free!". Great, so 97% of that product is fat free, and the same amount of fat in a "regular" product is contained in the other 3%?
Which bite of this yogurt will contain all the fat?
It's like choosing from a box of chocolates: 19 of 20 will leave one thin, but that 20th will result in an extra 5 pounds on the spot.
By
Kevin, at 4:06 PM
If I could only stop at 19...sigh. Oh, did you mean the 20th was the fat-containing one? I was thinking more of gee, maybe just once I could leave a chocolate in the box.
But then again, I usually do. The one with the pink squishy filling.
THAT'S the one that's probably good for you!
By
herewegoagain, at 4:28 PM
I am forever curious about the awful tastes of the "healthy choice" option in college cafeterias! Why is this so difficult for them? Sure they can fry everything else or throw it into a casserole, but try healthy...
The "veggie bagel" is basically cream cheese on a bagel with a tomato and onion thrown on top! Who comes up with such things??
And the "veggie wrap" is so over-salted it literally tastes bitter...
I came back to college with the high, exciting resolution to eat better. So much for THAT resolution!
By
Anonymous, at 1:13 PM
Words to live by:
If it is good for you it most assuredly will taste bad.
By
Anonymous, at 6:32 PM
While in Panera last week, I observed the low carb bagels looked awfully similar to the regular bagels, even though they cost $1 more.
Since I'd been there every breakfast and dinner for 4 days, by the end people knew me. I inquired as to the difference between "Sesame" and "Low Carb Sesame". They sheepishly admitted that the Low Carb Sesame was the same recipe, just smaller in size.
Charging more money for less product. What a brilliant business model!
By
Kevin, at 8:14 AM
That reminds me of that Seinfeld episode with the fat-free/low cal yogurt. SO funny. Yep, if it tastes good, there is something else going on there.
By
herewegoagain, at 10:05 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home