herewegoagain

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Dog day

Today I took one of my best friends out to lunch. We decided to go and shop at a "ranch furnishings" store. Wow, that was really neat. There was a chaise lounge that made us look like Alice after she ate the wrong toadstool...we sat on it and felt oh, so dainty. There was lots and lots and lots and lots of cowhide. Cowhide couches, cowhide bar stools, cowhide throw pillows, and even a cowhide clock.

In fact, I was craving some steak while we shopped, but that is neither here nor there....

SO, as we drooled over the furnishings and longed for the paintings and talked to the proprietress, we saw clothes. Way cool!

Best friend had to have the purse. It was the neatest cowhide ever. Sort of a brownish black. Streaked. As we petted and oohed over it, the saleslady told us it was "brindle".

Huh? We've both lived in Texas for years and years and best friend even has a ranch, but "brindle cows"? I have seen brown ones, black ones, and black and white ones. Even jerseys. And burnt orange long-horns. NEVER have I seen a brindle cow.

So, of course, best friend had to have the purse. It was unique, one of a kind. A must-have.

We drove off, supremely happy with her purchase. We chatted about the uniqueness of it, the beauty of it. Then I said, "It's so odd, I've never seen a brindle cow" and she said, "I haven't either" and we both said, together, "But we've seen lots of brindle dogs"....

We looked at each other in horror. Then down at the purse. Then back at each other. "Do you think?", and "No, it couldn't", but, really, brindle??? We started to laugh until we cried. The horror. The fear of PETA. The thought of all the people who would say to her, "Brindle cow? I don't think so"...it was all too much.

She said, "I bought a DOGHIDE purse".

Oh my.

But it's really cute, and really, it couldn't be, right???

PS...mr. herewegoagain, also known as mr. censor, has insisted that I let the myriads of people who read my blog (Hi Hailey and Amy!) know that there ARE brindle cows!

3 Comments:

  • ROFL!!! I can just see you and Mrs. M (It was she, right?) doing this... I am glad I am not the only one who falls for stuff like that.

    I must say I have never heard of a brindle cow either. Are you sure there is such a thing? IT couldn't have been the dog though... It is like 101 Dalmations all over again...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:15 PM  

  • i'm now calling the owner of that store "cruella de cowgirl"!

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 11:40 PM  

  • Yes, I am sure that she would appreciate that name. :-P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home