Bonding
I had a bonding moment at the grocery store today.
Remember, I'm on a diet. Part of that plan was to cut out chocolate. I mean, cut out chocolate. Did you read that right? NO chocolate. I felt really guilty (not) on Valentine's Day when I scarfed down six chocolate turtles given to me by Perfect Daughter. The guilt came from the fact that mr. herewegoagain, who is fit and trim and actually COULD eat chocolate by the boatload if he wanted to, has decided not to eat chocolate either. I think this is either in support of me, or a defensive move against the moaning and groaning and carrying on that takes place when I try to fit into a pair of my favorite jeans. Not to mention the moaning and groaning and carrying on that takes place if someone takes a photo of me. So, he's onboard.
He looked truly disappointed when I told him I had "a little" chocolate on Valentine's Day, so I decided that if a "sweet fit" hits me, from now on, I'll skip the chocolate. But not the Gummy Bears. Not the vanilla cupcake at Starbucks. Not the Payday candy bar. It's not like I crave non-chocolate items, but they do the trick in a pinch when a "gimme something sweet to eat or I'll hurt you, badly" episode occurs. I've decided that my mantra of "Atkins would be a good diet, with a roll", needs to be changed to "Atkins would be a good diet, with a roll, and a dessert".
So, that brings me to today. I just wanted something sweet. Something that wasn't protein, or cheese, or cheesy protein. We were at the store. I spied a Russell Stover pecan roll. Pecans! Nuts! Healthy!!! I checked out the package...nope, not any chocolate at all. Looked yummy. I couldn't wait.
The young man who checked me out looked, um, chubby. Like, 400 pounds chubby. I liked him already. He rang up my groceries and then handed me the pecan log. "Theses are getting smaller all the time", he said.
"You are so right", I agreed, "And they cost more!"
We commiserated over the high cost of candy, remembered the good ol' times of larger, cheaper Hershey bars, and then he told me a long story about pecan rolls in general. I mean, in my life, frankly, there are very few people who even know where to find pecan rolls at the store (at our local grocery store, they are with the greeting cards. Go figure). Yet, he had gone to Mexico, found a local candy store, watched them make the rolls by hand with the freshest ingredients...and licked his lips and rolled his eyes in ecstasy as he described the taste.
I stood and listened with bated breath. There was a line of shoppers behind me, but who cared? They were skinny...they didn't get it.
Who else but two fatties would bond over a pecan roll?
It made my day.
Oh? and I'm still only down one pound. Wonder why?
Remember, I'm on a diet. Part of that plan was to cut out chocolate. I mean, cut out chocolate. Did you read that right? NO chocolate. I felt really guilty (not) on Valentine's Day when I scarfed down six chocolate turtles given to me by Perfect Daughter. The guilt came from the fact that mr. herewegoagain, who is fit and trim and actually COULD eat chocolate by the boatload if he wanted to, has decided not to eat chocolate either. I think this is either in support of me, or a defensive move against the moaning and groaning and carrying on that takes place when I try to fit into a pair of my favorite jeans. Not to mention the moaning and groaning and carrying on that takes place if someone takes a photo of me. So, he's onboard.
He looked truly disappointed when I told him I had "a little" chocolate on Valentine's Day, so I decided that if a "sweet fit" hits me, from now on, I'll skip the chocolate. But not the Gummy Bears. Not the vanilla cupcake at Starbucks. Not the Payday candy bar. It's not like I crave non-chocolate items, but they do the trick in a pinch when a "gimme something sweet to eat or I'll hurt you, badly" episode occurs. I've decided that my mantra of "Atkins would be a good diet, with a roll", needs to be changed to "Atkins would be a good diet, with a roll, and a dessert".
So, that brings me to today. I just wanted something sweet. Something that wasn't protein, or cheese, or cheesy protein. We were at the store. I spied a Russell Stover pecan roll. Pecans! Nuts! Healthy!!! I checked out the package...nope, not any chocolate at all. Looked yummy. I couldn't wait.
The young man who checked me out looked, um, chubby. Like, 400 pounds chubby. I liked him already. He rang up my groceries and then handed me the pecan log. "Theses are getting smaller all the time", he said.
"You are so right", I agreed, "And they cost more!"
We commiserated over the high cost of candy, remembered the good ol' times of larger, cheaper Hershey bars, and then he told me a long story about pecan rolls in general. I mean, in my life, frankly, there are very few people who even know where to find pecan rolls at the store (at our local grocery store, they are with the greeting cards. Go figure). Yet, he had gone to Mexico, found a local candy store, watched them make the rolls by hand with the freshest ingredients...and licked his lips and rolled his eyes in ecstasy as he described the taste.
I stood and listened with bated breath. There was a line of shoppers behind me, but who cared? They were skinny...they didn't get it.
Who else but two fatties would bond over a pecan roll?
It made my day.
Oh? and I'm still only down one pound. Wonder why?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home