Literally
I do love how kids think. And the things they say. I'm old enough (barely) to remember Art Linkletter bending over to talk to three-year-olds and get their comments on that big fuzzy microphone. A whole TV show revolved around those "darndest things" and it was a hit!
My kids would be stars.
Yesterday we were at the grocery store. We meandered past the floral section, which also has all the helium-filled mylar balloons floating above the vases of roses and gerbera daisies. I was concentrating on trying to find a tomato that might taste like a tomato, and was only vaguely listening while they read off the balloons to each other...
"Oh, look! It's Garfield saying, "Get Well Soon"."
"And there is a pretty one with flowers saying "Get Well Soon"."
"I like this one with Snoopy..."Get Well Soon"."
"There are a lot of "Get Well Soon" ones."
Suddenly, silence.
Then, together, "MOM! WHY would a balloon say that?"
"Say what?" I looked up quickly, worried that some Simpson's phrase had made it onto a kid's birthday balloon.
"We'll miss you", they shrieked in unison. Rowdy Son continued in horror, "Do people really bring that to the hospital? That's just mean."
I guess I need to tell that store to not put the "We'll Miss You" next to the "Get Well Soon" balloons--there is a logical jump that can be made there and it's not always about retirement or moving to a new state. Kids are just too literally-minded to see them together. Although, it was pretty funny.
My kids would be stars.
Yesterday we were at the grocery store. We meandered past the floral section, which also has all the helium-filled mylar balloons floating above the vases of roses and gerbera daisies. I was concentrating on trying to find a tomato that might taste like a tomato, and was only vaguely listening while they read off the balloons to each other...
"Oh, look! It's Garfield saying, "Get Well Soon"."
"And there is a pretty one with flowers saying "Get Well Soon"."
"I like this one with Snoopy..."Get Well Soon"."
"There are a lot of "Get Well Soon" ones."
Suddenly, silence.
Then, together, "MOM! WHY would a balloon say that?"
"Say what?" I looked up quickly, worried that some Simpson's phrase had made it onto a kid's birthday balloon.
"We'll miss you", they shrieked in unison. Rowdy Son continued in horror, "Do people really bring that to the hospital? That's just mean."
I guess I need to tell that store to not put the "We'll Miss You" next to the "Get Well Soon" balloons--there is a logical jump that can be made there and it's not always about retirement or moving to a new state. Kids are just too literally-minded to see them together. Although, it was pretty funny.


2 Comments:
Haha - you know the odds are not in your favor when the relatives start replacing the 'Get Well Soon' balloons with the 'We'll Miss You' balloons!
-Wayco
By
Anonymous, at 3:19 PM
Especially if they're in the will!
Seriously, you should have seen the kids' faces. Total shock.
It was funny!
By
herewegoagain, at 8:17 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home