herewegoagain

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Lawn Care

A few days ago Rowdy Son was mowing the front lawn for me. I've been pretty excited since he became old enough to drive the riding mower, because my aim has always been to attain the ranks of those with "manicured lawns". In fact, it has been a very lofty goal of mine ever since DH and I were househunting in a very nice neighborhood several years ago. After checking out a particularly nice home in a cul-de-sac, he said, "We can't live here". "Why on earth not?" I asked...I mean, it was in our price range, close to work, had a community pool and a Walmart close by. Perfect. "Because we would have to keep the lawn nice". Oh, yeah. Check that one off the list.

In the country, there are no neighbors, and the defining reason to keep the grass "low" is to be able to see snakes. So, while we do have a fairly mowed yard, it is not manicured. Now that Rowdy Son is entering the teen years, I'm absolutely salivating at the thought of teenage yard work done on a twice-weekly basis. Manicure, here I come!

However, manicure is not the word for what Rowdy Son accomplished the other day. "Scalped" is more like it. He didn't mean to. He came in, eyes downcast.

"Um, mom?"

"Yes", I answered, irritated that I wasn't hearing the soothing-to-me sound of the mower's engine.

"I think the blade slipped down a notch and I might have cut the grass too short".

Well, yes, he did. In fact, the pattern that he managed to create is very reminiscent of crop circles. Anyone google-earthing us should have a field day trying to figure out who we are trying to contact in outer space.

But really, it wasn't his fault. That night, he was discussing the whole situation with his dad. I interrupted the conversation with, "How on earth could the blade just slip?"

DH: "Well, it broke a while ago..."

Rowdy Son: "And there was a rope holding it."

DH: "I thought we used duct tape?"

Rowdy Son: "Actually, there was both...old rope and duct tape."

DH: "Well, I'm just going to have to use an old coat hanger this time".

Rowdy Son: "Yeah, that'll work".

Me: SPEECHLESS.


Somehow, right then, right there, I gave up my manicured lawn dream. Oh well, then what on earth would the deer and armadillo eat? It's all good.

2 Comments:

  • I laughed out loud in the law library over this one! I could just picture the look on his face as they discussed the comparable merits of rope, hangers, and of course, duct tape.

    And for the record, when I visited on Saturday your line looked quite lovely! I didn't notice any strange "signs"

    By Blogger Amy, at 7:24 PM  

  • Well, my badgering you finally paid off with a comment on my blog!

    And now I'm off to see if you've finally updated YOURS!

    xx

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home