Christmas
Christmas was really nice this year. We actually did not have the usual crowds of family and friends...just DH's sweet mom, and only for a short while. It felt more like a "day off" than a holiday (which are usually full of work, even if fun).
However, I did notice a few traditions survived, even when there were just six people.....well, OK, one tradition survived:
Eating. We spent Christmas Eve day in preparation for Christmas Eve night making cookies. And eating cookies. Christmas Eve night was going to a delightful, joy-filled church service followed by, um, eating. And decorating and, um, eating cookies. Followed by eating brownies with ice-cream, whipped cream and nuts. And eating sister-in-law's pralines. Then eating some more, before sending the kids off to bed so we could stuff stockings and um, eat.
You would think I wouldn't have been hungry just seven hours later when the kids were excitedly getting self-same stockings down from the mantle, but Hershey Kisses have long been a favorite breakfast of mine. I should say, "favorite early breakfast", because yes, the candy-fest was followed by a huge bacon and egg and potato spread. My mother-in-law then escaped the house of piggery, and we settled down for a game of Scrabble. Complete with cheese and crackers. Followed by chocolate.
Just a few hours later, and it was time for the Christmas meal. Followed by the Christmas dessert. Followed by candy in front of the T.V.
The good thing is that today is the day after Christmas. And guess what? There isn't a thing to eat in the house. Strangely enough, I'm not hungry.
However, I did notice a few traditions survived, even when there were just six people.....well, OK, one tradition survived:
Eating. We spent Christmas Eve day in preparation for Christmas Eve night making cookies. And eating cookies. Christmas Eve night was going to a delightful, joy-filled church service followed by, um, eating. And decorating and, um, eating cookies. Followed by eating brownies with ice-cream, whipped cream and nuts. And eating sister-in-law's pralines. Then eating some more, before sending the kids off to bed so we could stuff stockings and um, eat.
You would think I wouldn't have been hungry just seven hours later when the kids were excitedly getting self-same stockings down from the mantle, but Hershey Kisses have long been a favorite breakfast of mine. I should say, "favorite early breakfast", because yes, the candy-fest was followed by a huge bacon and egg and potato spread. My mother-in-law then escaped the house of piggery, and we settled down for a game of Scrabble. Complete with cheese and crackers. Followed by chocolate.
Just a few hours later, and it was time for the Christmas meal. Followed by the Christmas dessert. Followed by candy in front of the T.V.
The good thing is that today is the day after Christmas. And guess what? There isn't a thing to eat in the house. Strangely enough, I'm not hungry.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home