herewegoagain

Monday, April 05, 2010

Day 2 in San Diego--Perfect Daughter takes away the keys


As my tale of travel to the Wild West continues, we spent day two in Legoland. Now, Legoland was the major reason for the trip to California. Rowdy is a Lego fanatic, and Perfect Daughter wanted him to see Legoland before he was, oh, 35. And so, in her perfectly pushy way, she orchestrated the entire trip around this day in Legoland. HER own destination, apparently dearly-wished-for since SHE was 12, was Disneyland. SO, desert driving, mountain crossing and port-a-potties notwithstanding, we were BOUND for California no-matter-what this Spring Break.

The day started with a little side trip to drop off Stunning Niece at the train station in Solana Beach. The train is called "The Coaster" and is as exotic to us South Texans as, well, as train travel. Because there is NONE here. So, there was a measure of excitement at finding the station and dropping her off. It was just a simple little detour off "the 5" (that's I-5 for all you neophytes). Forty-five minutes later, after touring a very upscale neighborhood in the exact wrong direction, then following signs that turned out to be for bus stops (note to California...a sign bigger than a sheet of notebook paper, with an actual train on it, saying TRAIN, might be helpful), we did find the train station (yes, next to the beach. Duh. "Coaster"...it all made sense, suddenly) and throw her out as we slowed down. WE were late and SHE was late and so much for seeing a train station in Southern Cal. We were over it. I think she DID eventually get home, but no matter....we were Legoland-bound.

Legoland did not disappoint. Everything from the giant Darth Vader (made of Legos, of course) to the tiny Washington Monument (ditto) to the fish in the stream (um, yes, Legos) was magical to my Rowdy Boy. I did my best to dawdle behind the threesome, urging them to "go on without me", and finding all the best benches (often next to a snoring Lego-man). It was great fun, and we were there not only there till closing, but well past closing (they did have a few Lego stores, after all, and shopping was pretty divine).

We came back to San Diego that evening to another FISH TACO meal with my favorite cousin and his wife. Considering I wasn't going to get fish tacos for oh, at least another several years, having them every day while in San Diego seemed completely reasonable.

But, I was tired...so tired. And it was time to drive home to my aunt's house.

Now, I actually learned to drive in San Diego, and I do know my way around the beach area fairly well. So, I was doing the driving at this point, and I came to-- ironically--my nemesis of an intersection while in Driver's Training in 10th grade. (I did appreciate that extra brake pedal for the teacher that day, let's leave it at that). Yes, the dreaded Mission Bay Drive/Garnet Ave intersection.

There is always a lot of traffic there, and I was sitting patiently at the red light. I stress this because when the green arrow to turn left blinked, and the cars to the left of me started through, I also started. Through. The red light. Whoa. I stopped. I backed up. Whew. All was fine.

Except, Perfect Daughter said, "Mom, this is one of those California Photo-enforced Red Light Intersections". (Yes, that is a mouthful, and yes, she said it exactly like that). Oh BUMMER.

Here is how the conversation with my elderly cousin went the following week (she is over 70 and just had to complete a driving course AGAIN to get her license renewed):

Me: "Well, I think I'm OK because I didn't actually go INTO the intersection."

Cousin Gail: "Oh, if you even crossed into the pedestrian crosswalk, that's illegal."

Me: "But I did back up quickly."

Cousin Gail: "Backing up in an intersection is illegal."

Me: "But how do they know it was ME driving my car? It could be anyone."

Cousin Gail: "Have you SEEN the photos? You could frame them and hang them."

Me: "Well, it's already been over one week and I haven't received a ticket in the mail."

Cousin Gail: "Give them time. Legally they have 45 days."

She was a fount of information.

SO, just to clarify---in TEXAS, where people are FREE and the Constitution still means we have the right to face our accuser (I'm talking to you, red-light camera), they have attempted to install these cameras. In TEXAS, they are civil infractions, people mostly ignore them, and if they do have to pay...eh, it's fifty bucks.

In CALIFORNIA, not so much any of the above. In fact, it is a criminal offense, it costs more than $430, and good luck fighting the "flash".

I have consoled myself that a) we didn't have an accident and b) maybe my Texas plates will earn me grace.

I also handed over the keys to Perfect Daughter for the rest of the trip. That way I could a) sleep while she drove and b) wake up in time to yell at her as she approached ANY intersection. Good times.

2 Comments:

  • good call on handing over the keys--what with your photography phobia, it seems like the right choice:)

    i think i'll stick some photos up on my blog...

    By Blogger Sho, at 1:07 PM  

  • You know, I didn't even think about my photo phobia. It all seems even MORE unfair when you consider how I have dodged cameras all these years.
    If you put one of me on your blog, well, you know the threats I am capable of making good on.....

    The beetle ones would be a better choice. Just sayin'

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home