June
What? It's June? I'm averaging one blog per calendar month these days. I walk around with blogs in my head, I listen and take mental notes of funny things the kids say and things DH says that I can't blog but are really funny (only to me and not to him, if you get my drift), I think, "I should blog about that"...and then, well, I don't.
Things are buzzing along at the herewegoagain house these days and I don't mean just the bugs. I've written enough about all things creepy and crawly that live in South Texas, so I don't need to elaborate much on that except to say we have just killed the first scorpion of the season in my kitchen. And you thought summer started on June 21st. Not with the 100-plus temps, the drought and now...the bugs in the house. Or, more accurately, the arachnids in the house. And garden. And, sometimes..pool. Shudder. Yes, summer is here and it's only June 2.
But apart from the usual summer bugs and such, we are just plain ol' busy. Perfect Daughter is off in Italy on a JAG internship near Vicenza. Yes, we are beyond proud. And yes, it does keep us laughing as we picture her running at 5:30 a.m., learning military protocol and probably keeping her mouth shut way more than she is used to. She was very honored to receive this internship and she started jogging 2 miles as soon as she knew she was going to Italy. She really didn't realize that two miles on a treadmill in an air-conditioned gym does NOT equal 4-plus miles through the winding roads in northern Italy in the summer weather. I think she is dying. She thinks she is dying. DH says she is getting in shape. We'll see when she returns in July. Until then, yeah, bursting with pride here. Oh, and she does lawyerly stuff to.
Rowdy Son and Sweet Girl are settling down after a two-week vacation which included a week-long road trip to Arizona, the Grand Canyon and White Sands. Perfect Daughter and I helmed the trip, and DH wisely stayed home (I think the phrase he used most often was either "Wild horses couldn't drag me along" or "I would rather die" when confronted with my itinerary which included sharing a house for three days with my extended family). We, however, enjoyed every minute. White Sands was particularly breath-taking as we were there for the full moon. The park stayed open until 11 p.m. so that we could sit on the highest dune and watch the moon rise as the sun set. Spectacular. The kids liked all that awesome "stuff", but what they really liked was "sledding" on the dunes. I put the "surely this all so bright because of years of nuclear testing" thought out of my mind and slid right along with them. The Chihuahua enjoyed being in the Chihuahua desert and slid with us. Great fun.
So, we're home. Soccer tryouts took up most of last week and all of us are nervous at the thought of Sweet Girl (she really is aptly named) being a goalie in a select league, but they wanted her and she took them up on it. I guess my fall schedule has already been decided. It will include nail-biting, eye-closing and tongue-biting. All on the sidelines and all in dreadful weather ( either 10,000 degrees fahrenheit or biting freezing winds). Oh, how I love soccer.
For the rest of June, however, I have plans to a) sleep late and b) sleep later. Followed by dipping in the pool. Followed by a nap. Perfect Daughter, if you are reading this, be jealous. But just remember, I would really rather be in Italy.
Things are buzzing along at the herewegoagain house these days and I don't mean just the bugs. I've written enough about all things creepy and crawly that live in South Texas, so I don't need to elaborate much on that except to say we have just killed the first scorpion of the season in my kitchen. And you thought summer started on June 21st. Not with the 100-plus temps, the drought and now...the bugs in the house. Or, more accurately, the arachnids in the house. And garden. And, sometimes..pool. Shudder. Yes, summer is here and it's only June 2.
But apart from the usual summer bugs and such, we are just plain ol' busy. Perfect Daughter is off in Italy on a JAG internship near Vicenza. Yes, we are beyond proud. And yes, it does keep us laughing as we picture her running at 5:30 a.m., learning military protocol and probably keeping her mouth shut way more than she is used to. She was very honored to receive this internship and she started jogging 2 miles as soon as she knew she was going to Italy. She really didn't realize that two miles on a treadmill in an air-conditioned gym does NOT equal 4-plus miles through the winding roads in northern Italy in the summer weather. I think she is dying. She thinks she is dying. DH says she is getting in shape. We'll see when she returns in July. Until then, yeah, bursting with pride here. Oh, and she does lawyerly stuff to.
Rowdy Son and Sweet Girl are settling down after a two-week vacation which included a week-long road trip to Arizona, the Grand Canyon and White Sands. Perfect Daughter and I helmed the trip, and DH wisely stayed home (I think the phrase he used most often was either "Wild horses couldn't drag me along" or "I would rather die" when confronted with my itinerary which included sharing a house for three days with my extended family). We, however, enjoyed every minute. White Sands was particularly breath-taking as we were there for the full moon. The park stayed open until 11 p.m. so that we could sit on the highest dune and watch the moon rise as the sun set. Spectacular. The kids liked all that awesome "stuff", but what they really liked was "sledding" on the dunes. I put the "surely this all so bright because of years of nuclear testing" thought out of my mind and slid right along with them. The Chihuahua enjoyed being in the Chihuahua desert and slid with us. Great fun.
So, we're home. Soccer tryouts took up most of last week and all of us are nervous at the thought of Sweet Girl (she really is aptly named) being a goalie in a select league, but they wanted her and she took them up on it. I guess my fall schedule has already been decided. It will include nail-biting, eye-closing and tongue-biting. All on the sidelines and all in dreadful weather ( either 10,000 degrees fahrenheit or biting freezing winds). Oh, how I love soccer.
For the rest of June, however, I have plans to a) sleep late and b) sleep later. Followed by dipping in the pool. Followed by a nap. Perfect Daughter, if you are reading this, be jealous. But just remember, I would really rather be in Italy.


1 Comments:
Hi Aunt Betsy! This is a great blog keep it going! Oh yes white sands was soooooooo much fun thanks for taking me! I miss you all very much I aam in Connectictut having an awesome time but I miss Texas sooooo much!Thank you for letting me stay so many nights at your house
Love,
Alexandra Roshan Stewart!
By
Alexandra, at 1:39 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home