Time Out
It's been crazy-busy at the herewegoagain house. And somehow, with all the blog fodder flying through the air, I just haven't had time to sit down and actually write. I mean, Perfect Daughter had her perfect houseguest (read: perfect boyfriend) here for a few days, and there are scads of funny stories from then, but she would kill me if I shared any of it with "perfect" strangers (even if "perfect" is perfectly used in that context for once).
However, today we took time out to go to a movie as a family. Yesterday, I hauled three kids to a movie all by myself..."Night at the Museum". Yes, we are the last in the US to see it. I know we are the last to see it because we had the theatre to ourselves (there were four other people, but two left shortly after it began). Why did they leave? Well, it takes a real trooper (or at least a mom with three kids under 12, one of whom is there on his rowdy birthday!) to sit through an entire movie with slanting, scratchy black lines running across the screen. I majored in film at UT, so I know the meaning of "suspending disbelief", and while I usually have no trouble buying into dinosaur bones that fetch like a dog, I just couldn't get past the lousy print we watched. We were in the premier theatre in SA, which was part of the "fun" of taking the kids. I complained afterwards and was told, "Once a print is scratched there is nothing we can do about it." Huh? How about not sell tickets to it? And, since we are not on either coast, the $10.00 price per ticket is for a "premier experience". Not.
However, the manager (?) semi-apologized by giving me four passes to another movie. We used those today to see something really great.
Amazing Grace. I read on another site that you should see it, and you should take any public servant you can with you (your mayor, your city councilman, your county commisioner...heck, call up GW and ask him). It's a great reminder that politicians can actually affect this country for GOOD. (And as perfect daughter pointed out, there is an occasional good lawyer out there as well).
No scratches this time. Totally worth it. It even gave me something to blog about!
However, today we took time out to go to a movie as a family. Yesterday, I hauled three kids to a movie all by myself..."Night at the Museum". Yes, we are the last in the US to see it. I know we are the last to see it because we had the theatre to ourselves (there were four other people, but two left shortly after it began). Why did they leave? Well, it takes a real trooper (or at least a mom with three kids under 12, one of whom is there on his rowdy birthday!) to sit through an entire movie with slanting, scratchy black lines running across the screen. I majored in film at UT, so I know the meaning of "suspending disbelief", and while I usually have no trouble buying into dinosaur bones that fetch like a dog, I just couldn't get past the lousy print we watched. We were in the premier theatre in SA, which was part of the "fun" of taking the kids. I complained afterwards and was told, "Once a print is scratched there is nothing we can do about it." Huh? How about not sell tickets to it? And, since we are not on either coast, the $10.00 price per ticket is for a "premier experience". Not.
However, the manager (?) semi-apologized by giving me four passes to another movie. We used those today to see something really great.
Amazing Grace. I read on another site that you should see it, and you should take any public servant you can with you (your mayor, your city councilman, your county commisioner...heck, call up GW and ask him). It's a great reminder that politicians can actually affect this country for GOOD. (And as perfect daughter pointed out, there is an occasional good lawyer out there as well).
No scratches this time. Totally worth it. It even gave me something to blog about!
Labels: Time Out


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home