Posse time
Because I live in South Central Texas, I have read many books about the Indian Wars that took place here shortly before, during, and after the Civil War. I've read how the settlers would farm their lands with a plow and a shotgun. How their young boys would be swooped up on the back of a Comanche pony, not to return for years, if ever. It's great fodder for the imagination because we live near a creek and have found lots of evidence of Indian life here (arrowheads, spearheads, hollowed out stones, etc).
But yesterday I got a true understanding of what it is like to need to be armed on your own land.
I was planting flowers in a bed near the house and sweet girl was running up to me with my little spade when a giant red wasp swooped out of nowhere and stung her arm. It was about an inch long and hanging on ferociously--I had to swat at it to get it off her arm while she screamed with pain.
There is nothing like seeing your child hurt to make you declare war. I marched into the garage right to our large stash of wasp spray. Feeling like Marshall Dillon, I took one can for each hand. I shook them to see that they were locked and loaded. And I went out hunting for the enemy.
I killed more wasps in that next 20 minutes than I have all summer. Each dead one made me feel a little better about the little girl with an ice pack on her arm. The only good wasp is a dead wasp.
This morning I made the connection to the early German farmers and the way they had to plow, always on the lookout for that telltale sign of an Indian raider. Yep, I watered my flowers this morning with the hose in one hand, and the can in another. I listened intently for a buzz. I checked for sleeping enemies under the eaves. I almost shot a hummingbird! That would have been a tragic friendly fire incident, but it buzzed away safely.
And the whole time, Willie Nelson's "Beer for my Horses" was going through my head. I wanted to meet back at the local saloon, in one piece, after stringing a few more bad guys up.
Really, this is not the way I want to garden. Furtively darting around corners, wasp spray in hand, checking, then moving on? It's a combination Green beret/SWAT team tactic, all rolled into the "frightened of farming" mode of my predecessors. I do wonder, when I bend down to pull up a weed, if THAT is the time the enemy will attack. And on some level, I suppose I will deserve it, for having taken out so many of the troops.
Meanwhile, sweet girl is fine. 25 more wasps are dead. And I'm still terrified of my own backyard.
But yesterday I got a true understanding of what it is like to need to be armed on your own land.
I was planting flowers in a bed near the house and sweet girl was running up to me with my little spade when a giant red wasp swooped out of nowhere and stung her arm. It was about an inch long and hanging on ferociously--I had to swat at it to get it off her arm while she screamed with pain.
There is nothing like seeing your child hurt to make you declare war. I marched into the garage right to our large stash of wasp spray. Feeling like Marshall Dillon, I took one can for each hand. I shook them to see that they were locked and loaded. And I went out hunting for the enemy.
I killed more wasps in that next 20 minutes than I have all summer. Each dead one made me feel a little better about the little girl with an ice pack on her arm. The only good wasp is a dead wasp.
This morning I made the connection to the early German farmers and the way they had to plow, always on the lookout for that telltale sign of an Indian raider. Yep, I watered my flowers this morning with the hose in one hand, and the can in another. I listened intently for a buzz. I checked for sleeping enemies under the eaves. I almost shot a hummingbird! That would have been a tragic friendly fire incident, but it buzzed away safely.
And the whole time, Willie Nelson's "Beer for my Horses" was going through my head. I wanted to meet back at the local saloon, in one piece, after stringing a few more bad guys up.
Really, this is not the way I want to garden. Furtively darting around corners, wasp spray in hand, checking, then moving on? It's a combination Green beret/SWAT team tactic, all rolled into the "frightened of farming" mode of my predecessors. I do wonder, when I bend down to pull up a weed, if THAT is the time the enemy will attack. And on some level, I suppose I will deserve it, for having taken out so many of the troops.
Meanwhile, sweet girl is fine. 25 more wasps are dead. And I'm still terrified of my own backyard.


3 Comments:
Oh my goodness...do I ever hate wasps!!!!!!
What purpose do they serve anyway? Can't we just drive them to extinction? ;-)
By
Anonymous, at 11:34 AM
Mrs.___, I LOL-ed on this post. That was hysterical. You have a gift...
I must say, your poor chilluns keep getting stung by these detestable creatures, and they plague the enjoyment of your great outdoors. Yet, you all will not go to the expense of getting pest control out there to deal with it. Methinks, however, that if the precious Dollie gets stung by one of these beasts that pest control will be out there the next day, maybe even within a few hours to exterminate them all. I am of course joking...or maybe I'm not. :)
By
Anonymous, at 11:26 PM
Everytime you blog I get a mental picture in my head and laugh hysterically. Save the Children!!!
By
Anonymous, at 11:29 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home