herewegoagain

Thursday, September 24, 2009

I Passed


Today is the day I've been waiting for. It was my six-month check-up at the dermatologist. Whoopee. I just love going somewhere for a head-to-toe-to-between-toes-to-what-are-you-looking-THERE-for???? check-up.

Actually, I have been counting the days because I knew I would pass with flying colors and because I have had all these questions for my doctor that I've been DYING to ask her, but not dying enough to fork over the $40.00 copay one minute before I had to.

First one:


me: "Um, Dr. Derma, I've been reading on the internet....

Dr. Derma: "Stay off the internet"

me: (chuckling) "Oh, right. I will. Anyway, since melanoma is thought to be caused by MANY things...heredity, immune-system breakdowns, sun, etc...do I really have to stay out of the sun?

Dr. Derma: (eyeing my tan lines from the beach vacation) "Well, it looks like you haven't been. And YES, YOU DO."

me: (chastised) Well, OK, then. Can you tell me why my scar still feels "funny" after six months?

Dr. Derma: "I usually tell people to be glad they're alive".

me: (laughing nervously) "So, it's normal?"

Dr. Derma: "It's a SCAR"

Ok, so then we progressed to, "I have never seen such a variety of signs of sun damaged skin. You have this, and this, and this, and this" (ad nauseum). This was all said while I was feeling very vulnerable under the stupid paper "gown".

She finished examining things like the roots of my hair . I sat up, while she said, "I didn't see anything I wasn't happy with".

Well, I DID. I mentioned the innumerable skin issues, the rolls of fat, the wrinkles that show up oh-so-nicely under the VERY bright light. She pointed out that if I lost the fat, the wrinkles would look worse.

Wow, it was a a good day at the doctor's.


But, actually it was. She did freeze (meaning burn the heck out of) three spots and left me with a big ol' blister on my nose, my hand and my neck. Very attractive, but hopefully not cancerous. She then pronounced, once again, that she was happy with me, and that I was NOT to be in the sun any MORE, and by the way, if I see anything at all strange in the next six months I should call...and she was gone.

I am a little giddy with happiness that nothing was biopsied and I don't have to wait for lab results and a little mad that I didn't get to check off the 46 questions I have based on copious internet search and reading sad blogs. But mostly I write because if ANYONE reads this and thinks that being tan when you are young is worth going through what I just did...well, then, talk to me when you are 40. Until then, I will be slathered with sunscreen (ugh), wearing a hat (I look like a turtle in one...no neck, you see), and avoiding the sun (pale is the new tan).

8 Comments:

  • eeeeeeeww to the picture. and ouch to the doctor.

    pale is the new tan? good news for me...

    By Blogger Sho, at 7:57 PM  

  • Uncle Mike is convinced that it is photo-shopped. But, it does get the idea of "sun damaged" across, doesn't it?

    Yes, stay pale.

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 9:55 PM  

  • I'm glad everything turned out well for you.

    I'm still a regular reader, even if I'm not a regular commenter. I left a little smile for you over on my blog today. Pop on over to pick it up :)

    By Blogger Maria, at 3:21 PM  

  • Aw, that is so sweet. I just went and looked. You know you are living the best years of your life, right?

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 11:31 AM  

  • ok so i came here hoping something new was up...and was restruck by the photo. photoshop or not, i feel like it's punching me every time.

    By Blogger Sho, at 12:23 PM  

  • Hehe, it's not a big deal. All you do is copy the rules into your own blog post and then name 15 (or however many) other blogs you like to read. That's it! Just away to pass a little love around the blogosphere.

    And yes, I'm happier (and more exhausted) now than I think I've been in years. And it isn't even like the last couple years have been bad, but this is just AMAZING. I feel so lucky that I'm the one who gets to snuggle and tuck this little one in every night.

    Now, ask me again in 13 years... ;)

    By Blogger Maria, at 12:44 PM  

  • The snuggling and tucking is the best!

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 6:22 PM  

  • I laughed at the "the wrinkles will get worse if you lose the fat" thing! (although ... tanning does also make the wrinkles WORSE!)

    And amen to your derma - STAY OFF THE INTERNET! ;-) Except, of course, to blog.

    By Blogger Amy, at 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home