herewegoagain

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Scary....and red.

The herewegoagain family is not one for celebrating Halloween. It's really never been a problem, because we certainly DO love to dress up in costumes (the kiddos, that is) and eat candy (mostly me). So, if a costume party invitation comes to any of us, and if it's not on October 31, count us in. And if candy is involved, I'm first in line.

I think all girls in American truly know what we mean when we say "Ooooooh, I love a costume party". We are imagining ourselves as cute kitty cats, glamorous princesses, beautiful fairy tale characters...or, even if we are going to be a witch--Well, then it's certainly going to be Glinda, not that hag with the apple in Snow White.

All this to say--the other day all three kids and I were out and about, running errands, enjoying the fall weather, and loving having Perfect Daughter with us to regale us with stories of life at UTLaw. The fall "costume ball thing" (as she put it) came up. She eloborated with, "We're obviously all still in high school--or 12--and this is our prom, or whatever, and we have to dress up". She rolled her eyes and moaned a bit, but we ALL knew that she was secretly looking forward to it. I especially knew that she was mulling over every beautiful woman in power since the dawn of creation...would she look better as Helen of Troy, Cleopatra, or Jackie O? (I doubt Maggie Thatcher was going through her mind). She opened her mouth to talk about it:

"I'm thinking of going as..." she paused as I waited expectantly....

"A lobster!" interrupted Sweet Girl.

We all turned to look at her. She was gleeful. "A red lobster! I've been thinking about it and..."

"What?" almost-shrieked Perfect Daughter. (We were in public after all.) "A LOBSTER? I am going to be greeting people at the door. I will have handouts!"

"Oh, you could have large red claws to hand them out with!". I'm not kidding when I say Sweet Girl clapped her hands at the thought.

OK, at this point I lost it. Perfect Daughter was standing stock-still, perfectly horrified. Sweet Girl was pointing out the finer details of lobster costuming. It was really, really FUNNY.

Not to Perfect Daughter....

"What on earth made you think of lobster?", she asked. "I was going to go as Cleopatra" (See? I knew it).

"I dunno...when I looked at you, I just thought, "Lobster".

You can imagine how the day went after that.

I truly think if Perfect Daughter went as a Lobster, she would go as a very glamorous one...perhaps with a French accent--and she could wear some gloves over her claws. Or not.

5 Comments:

  • my vote's with bri--lobster will add a certain "je ne sais quois" that cleopatra just wouldn't acheive.

    By Blogger Sho, at 1:16 PM  

  • Ooooh, I love the French you threw in, Stunning. It has elevated my blog. And yes, you're right. But---I think she is going with Cleo.....

    xx!

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 6:21 PM  

  • Thank you so much for your comment - you are too kind, as always. At any rate I am glad you enjoyed the post, and it was good to write again - now to see if I can pound another one out before another 8 months goes by...

    As for your post...I loved it. I can picture the whole thing - facial expressions included - in my head, and I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when I first read it two weeks ago. Bri is such a gem!

    You guys are all in my prayers, and I hope everyone is doing well!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:50 PM  

  • Wayco!

    Yes, you are the one person outside the family who would KNOW those exact facial expressions!!! Pretty funny.

    We miss you! Christmas houses and um, castles and um, teddy graham warfare will not be the same without you.

    Be careful out there! We always pray for you.

    By Blogger herewegoagain, at 11:11 AM  

  • All I have to say is this -- I looked for lobster costumes. Yes, I actually did. Checked three different websites. Know what I found? ONE. For babies. In fact, specifically, a "Lobster bunting" and -- quite frankly -- it looked LIKE A COCKROACH.
    I rest my case.

    By Blogger Amy, at 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home