Party time
I have to be really nice to my husband today. Maybe from now on, maybe forever--like till I die. Why? Because I told God if He would let it not rain today, I would be a nice person (to everyone, but my husband is the one to whom I am seldom actually nice--unless he brings me chocolate).
Here we are in the midst of a drought, and I'm risking my reputation as a very grumpy mother and wife by asking for no rain? What on earth could be up?
Oh, I hosted a party.
Not just any party, mind you. It was full of children. The screaming, running, questioning, spilling-things, breaking stuff, getting dirty kind of small people that moms get together and entertain. I guess we really do have nothing better to do than to plan a party around the little monsters. It's just that, my prayer came out of the desperation I knew I would feel if the party had to move inside. Rain was in the forecast--I needed help from the weatherMan.
God was good, as He always is. He kept the drought continuing in South Texas. (Sorry to my neighbors with dried-up wells, but if it had rained today, I would have had THIRTY-ONE children in my living room. You'll just have to drill a new well.)
We made crafts with glitter (I'm brave) and glue (and sticky). We played games. We even coated apples with caramel. It was a great big glorious mess, and it's over. By the way, the leftover caramel is divine just scooped up in a spoon. Yum.
I survived today, and lived to tell the tale in my blog. We had no injuries...well, one fire ant incident. And one scorpion--it didn't sting anyone, and the kids had fun dissecting it by poking it with a large stick. My mantra is, "See a scorpion, kill a scorpion", so I was good with the "Lord of the Flies" remake in our seasonal creek. We had a lot of very sticky kids. SO sticky, in fact, that when I asked one mom-of-four if she wanted to take caramel apples home with her, she looked at me in abject horror, swallowed hard and said, "We're just fine, thank you". Well, good, that leaves more for me to spoon out and eat plain.
It's just, I'm so NOT a party person. I had spent the weekend in Austin, which is party central, and all I wanted was to be home in my own bed, comfy pillows at my head, good book in my lap, (and preferably, a bowl full of chocolate on the table). Today, as I tried to make it all fun and memorable for the little munchkins, I really just wanted to be flipping through a magazine on the couch, sipping iced tea and having NO ONE over. But we do it for the kids. If we moms did stuff just for "us", no one would be quite sure what a mom was . Because we would be soaking in a tub, napping on the bed, or flipping through 40 home-decorationg channels. We would not be "out there", so to speak. It's the kids that make us who we are (and who we don't want to be!).
Oh, and while we're on the "mom front"-- can I just tell the two people who read my blog (one of whom is the subject)...perfect daughter got a perfectly wonderful score on her LSAT. She now can choose the perfect law school to attend, making her, in three short years, my "perfect lawyer daughter".
I'm so proud. Now if I can get her to stop jumping out of planes, scuba diving in Okinawa, and traveling to countries that are close to nuclear crazies......it's not easy being a mom. It's easier when it's all about glitter and glue (all except the clean-up).
Off to bed. Luxury!
Here we are in the midst of a drought, and I'm risking my reputation as a very grumpy mother and wife by asking for no rain? What on earth could be up?
Oh, I hosted a party.
Not just any party, mind you. It was full of children. The screaming, running, questioning, spilling-things, breaking stuff, getting dirty kind of small people that moms get together and entertain. I guess we really do have nothing better to do than to plan a party around the little monsters. It's just that, my prayer came out of the desperation I knew I would feel if the party had to move inside. Rain was in the forecast--I needed help from the weatherMan.
God was good, as He always is. He kept the drought continuing in South Texas. (Sorry to my neighbors with dried-up wells, but if it had rained today, I would have had THIRTY-ONE children in my living room. You'll just have to drill a new well.)
We made crafts with glitter (I'm brave) and glue (and sticky). We played games. We even coated apples with caramel. It was a great big glorious mess, and it's over. By the way, the leftover caramel is divine just scooped up in a spoon. Yum.
I survived today, and lived to tell the tale in my blog. We had no injuries...well, one fire ant incident. And one scorpion--it didn't sting anyone, and the kids had fun dissecting it by poking it with a large stick. My mantra is, "See a scorpion, kill a scorpion", so I was good with the "Lord of the Flies" remake in our seasonal creek. We had a lot of very sticky kids. SO sticky, in fact, that when I asked one mom-of-four if she wanted to take caramel apples home with her, she looked at me in abject horror, swallowed hard and said, "We're just fine, thank you". Well, good, that leaves more for me to spoon out and eat plain.
It's just, I'm so NOT a party person. I had spent the weekend in Austin, which is party central, and all I wanted was to be home in my own bed, comfy pillows at my head, good book in my lap, (and preferably, a bowl full of chocolate on the table). Today, as I tried to make it all fun and memorable for the little munchkins, I really just wanted to be flipping through a magazine on the couch, sipping iced tea and having NO ONE over. But we do it for the kids. If we moms did stuff just for "us", no one would be quite sure what a mom was . Because we would be soaking in a tub, napping on the bed, or flipping through 40 home-decorationg channels. We would not be "out there", so to speak. It's the kids that make us who we are (and who we don't want to be!).
Oh, and while we're on the "mom front"-- can I just tell the two people who read my blog (one of whom is the subject)...perfect daughter got a perfectly wonderful score on her LSAT. She now can choose the perfect law school to attend, making her, in three short years, my "perfect lawyer daughter".
I'm so proud. Now if I can get her to stop jumping out of planes, scuba diving in Okinawa, and traveling to countries that are close to nuclear crazies......it's not easy being a mom. It's easier when it's all about glitter and glue (all except the clean-up).
Off to bed. Luxury!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home